Emergency Watershed Protection Program- Floodplain Easement Updated:12/2014

The Emergency Watershed Protection - Floodplain Easement Program (EWP-FPE) provides an alternative measure to traditional EWP recovery, where it is determined that acquiring an easement in lieu of recovery measures is the more economical and prudent approach to reducing a threat to life or property.
The easement area will be restored to the maximum extent practicable to its natural condition. Restoration utilizes structural and nonstructural practices to restore the flood storage and flow, erosion control, and improve the practical management of the easement.
Floodplain easements restore, protect, maintain and enhance the functions of floodplains while conserving their natural values such as fish and wildlife habitat, water quality, flood water retention and ground water recharge. Structures, including buildings, within the floodplain easement must be demolished and removed, or relocated outside the 100-year floodplain or dam breach inundation area.
Land Eligibility
NRCS may purchase EWP-FPE permanent easements on floodplain lands that:
  • The floodplain lands were damaged by flooding at least once within the previous calendar year or have been subject to flood damage at least twice within the previous 10 years.
  • Other lands within the floodplain are eligible, provided the lands would contribute to the restoration of the flood storage and flow, provide for control of erosion, or that would improve the practical management of the floodplain easement.
  • Lands would be inundated or adversely impacted as a result of a dam breach.
If FPE is being offered as recovery for a specific natural disaster, at least one of the instances of flooding must have been a result of that natural disaster.
Enrollment Option
A permanent easement is the only enrollment option available for EWP-FPE floodplain easements. Permanent FPE easements are available on the following types of land:
  • Agricultural or open lands. In these cases, NRCS will pay up to 100% of the easement value and up to 100% of the costs for easement restoration
  • Lands primarily used for residential housing. In these cases, NRCS will pay up to 100% of the easement value and up to 100% of the structure's value if the landowner chooses to have it demolished.  If the landowner wished to relocate their residence instead of demolishing it, the NRCS will pay 100% of the costs associated with relocating it to a location outside of the floodplain.  A project sponsor is required for these projects and is required to purchase the remaining lot after structures are removed.
Easement Payments
Although participation in EWP-FPE is voluntary, landowners selected for enrollment are required to sign a permanent conservation easement for the property included in their application. Through the signing of the easement, the NRCS purchases a series of rights from the landowner including the authority to restore and enhance the floodplain's functions and values. Once an easement has closed, the boundary configuration and terms of the agreement cannot be modified under any circumstances.
As compensation for the rights purchased by the NRCS, the landowner will receive the lowest of three values:
  • The fair market value (FMV) of the land. 
  • The geographic area rate cap (GARC).
  • A voluntary written offer by the landowner. 
Easement compensation for projects that include residences or other structures will be determined by an appraisal.
Easement Restoration
The easement provides NRCS with the authority to restore and enhance the floodplain's functions and values. NRCS may pay up to 100% of the restoration costs. To the extent practicable, NRCS actively restores the natural features and characteristics of the floodplain through re-creating the topographic diversity, increasing the duration of inundation and saturation, and providing for the re-establishment of native vegetation. The landowner is provided the opportunity to participate in the restoration efforts. NRCS may pay 75 percent of the cost of removing buildings when appropriate.
Landowner Use
After the sale of the permanent EWP-FPE easement, landowners still retain several property rights, including:
  • The right to quiet enjoyment
  • The right to control public access and
  • The right to undeveloped recreational use such as hunting and fishing
At any time, a landowner may request authorization from NRCS to engage in other activities, provided that NRCS determines it will further the protection and enhancement of the easement's floodplain functions and values. These compatible uses may include managed timber harvest, periodic haying, or grazing. NRCS determines the amount, method, timing, intensity, and duration of any compatible use that might be authorized. While a landowner can realize economic returns from an activity allowed on the easement area, a landowner is not assured of any specific level or frequency of such use, and the authorization does not vest any rights outside of those specified in the easement to the landowner.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for EWP-FPE, please review the documents listed below as they will need to be completed when you apply.  More information about the EWP-FPE can be obtained from your local USDA NRCS Field Office.

Contact Emergency Watershed Protection Program- Floodplain Easement

REMINDER: This listing is a free service of MaineLandCAN.
Emergency Watershed Protection Program- Floodplain Easement is not employed by or affiliated with the Maine Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.


Contact Emergency Watershed Protection Program- Floodplain Easement

Jason Weller, Chief
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Room 5105-A
Washington, DC  20250
Phone: 202-720-7246
Fax: 202-720-7690

Service Area

National Program