Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) Updated:06/2018

Agricultural Management Assistance


Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) provides financial assistance payments to agricultural producers to voluntarily address issues such as water management, water quality, and erosion control by incorporating conservation into their farming operations. Producers may construct or improve water management structures or irrigation structures; plant trees for windbreaks or to improve water quality; and mitigate risk through production diversification or resource conservation practices, including soil erosion control, integrated pest management, or transition to organic farming.

USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has leadership for the conservation provisions of AMA. The Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) is responsible for an organic certification cost-share program and the Risk Management Agency (RMA) is responsible for mitigation of financial risk through an insurance cost-share program.

How AMA Works

AMA is available in 16 states where participation in the Federal Crop Insurance Program is historically low. They are:

Applicants may request AMA assistance at any time by submitting an application to the local NRCS or conservation district office. The application (form CCC-1200) is available here.

A conservation plan is required for the area covered in the application and becomes the basis for developing the AMA contract. NRCS will work with the landowner to develop a conservation plan. Landowners must agree to maintain cost-shared practices for the life of the practice. Contracts are for three to ten years.

The NRCS state conservationist, in consultation with the State Technical Committee, will determine eligible structural and/or vegetative conservation practices using a locally led process. The Federal cost share is 75 percent of the cost of an eligible practice. Participants will be paid based upon certification of completion of the approved practice.


Applicants must own or control the land and agree to implement specific eligible conservation practices. Applicants must meet the Food Security Act’s definition of "person." Eligible land:

  • Cropland
  • Grassland
  • Hayland
  • Pasture and rangeland
  • Land used for subsistence purposes
  • Other land (such as forestland) that produces crops or livestock where risk may be mitigated through operation diversification or change in resource conservation practices.


AMA is budgeted at $15 million per year. The total AMA payments (from NRCS, AMS, and RMA) shall not exceed $50,000 per participant for any fiscal year.

For More Information

AMA questions and answers

NRCS or your local conservation district can provide more information. Your USDA Service Center

Contact Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA)

REMINDER: This listing is a free service of MaineLandCAN.
Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) is not employed by or affiliated with the Maine Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.


Contact Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA)

Dave Mason
Financial Assistance Programs Division
14th and Independence Ave., SW. Room 5233-S
Washington, DC  20013
Phone: 202-720-1873
Fax: 202-720-4265

Service Area

Statewide service provider in:
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming